Wednesday, November 8, 2017

That We Might Worship Without Fear

The Rev. Kathi Johnson
Zechariah and Elizabeth – 8 November 2017
Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, Grand Prairie, Texas

What follows is my homily for worship this evening. The text appointed for the commemoration of Zechariah and Elizabeth is Luke 1:5-24, 57-79. But I refer heavily to the paraphrase of Zechariah's song in the hymn, "Blessed Be the God of Israel" (#250 in Evangelical Lutheran Worship).

+ INJ +

Confession: I chose this hymn because I knew it is a paraphrase of the so-called Song of Zechariah contained in Luke 1. I didn’t look over the words of this hymn again before putting it into the bulletin.

So, a few hours ago, as I looked the hymn over, I was struck by verse 2:

With promised mercy will God still the covenant recall,
the oath once sworn to Abraham, from foes to save us all;
that we might worship without fear and offer lives of praise,
in holiness and righteousness to serve God all our days.

These words have always struck my ear and my heart, but all the more so following the violence in Sutherland Springs last Sunday. Following yet another horrific attack in a place of worship, I’m not sure I know what to do with a hymn that tells me that God will save me from foes. I’m not sure I know what to do with a hymn that tells me I can worship without fear.

Today, I drove up to the headquarters of the Grand Prairie Police Department to attend an emergency meeting of the Grand Prairie Police and Clergy Coalition. The room was full to overflowing with clergy and officers. One of the SWAT officers gave us a brief presentation about a few safety measures churches can implement…that we might worship without fear.

The easiest measures to implement mainly have to do with paying more attention. Watching more. Looking out. And there was general agreement in the room that yes, it is sad that we have to take these measures in our places of worship. And my own heart sat heavily within me as I shook my head again and again – thinking about and considering ways we can pay more attention.

Yet, the more I have sat with all of this today, the more I have realized that the modern day calls to pay attention – to watch more – to look out – these calls also ring out through the ancient words of Scripture. The words of the prophets tell us again and again to pay attention – to watch – to look and see.

No, I do not believe that this tragedy or any other tragedy was sent by God to re-capture our attention.

But if we are to learn anything from it, surely the call to pay attention can be a call that we heed. Our lives as disciples of Jesus are best lived when we are intentional in our thoughts and deeds – Who is it that needs our care? Beyond offering thoughts and prayers, what actions can we take as a society to make violence more atypical?

Out of love for us, our God is always calling us to pay attention. Like the mother who tells her child to watch for the car coming on the street, or the father who holds his child’s hand in a busy parking lot – so is God. We are God’s – nothing changes that. Let us offer our lives in praise.

+ SDG +

Our love to the saints of First Baptist in Sutherland Springs.


No comments:

Post a Comment