Sunday, February 26, 2017

Why Bother?

Listen here:
Transfiguration – 26 February 2017
Text: Matthew 17:1-9
Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, Grand Prairie, Texas

+ INJ +

Today is the final Sunday after the Epiphany of Our Lord. Remember that Epiphany is the season in which Jesus is revealed again and again as the Son of God. Today is called the Transfiguration of Our Lord because of our gospel lesson, in which Jesus is transfigured up on a mountaintop with some of his disciples.

The transfiguration story falls in the middle of Jesus’ earthly ministry. By this point in Matthew, Jesus has asked his disciples: “Who do you say that I am?” and Peter has offered his faithful answer: “You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God!” In the very next scene, Jesus shares with his disciples that he will suffer, die, and be raised to life, and Peter rebukes Jesus for saying such a thing. Jesus’ response to Peter shows us just what his focus is: “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”
 
So, six days later, Peter has his chance to gain divine vision. He goes up on the mountain with Jesus and James and John, and Jesus is transfigured in their sight, his face shining like the sun, and his clothes a dazzling white. And as if that glorious vision isn’t enough, Moses and Elijah then appear with Jesus, representing the Law and the Prophets.

Peter wants to stay there, on that mountaintop. He suggests a building plan: “I will make three dwellings here,” he says, “One for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah…” but while he’s still talking, God interrupts him from heaven: “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!”

In other words, Peter, be quiet and listen to the voice of Jesus. Pay attention to Jesus. Pay attention, so that you can follow him. Listen, so that you can truly be his disciple.

This work of listening – of paying extra attention – this is part of the intention behind the season of Lent, which we will begin this week on Ash Wednesday. For Christians, Lent has historically been a time of sacrifice – whether the sacrifice is something big or small. Some Christians observe a time of fasting during Lent, giving up some or most meals, or certain foods, like red meat. Some Christians give up chocolate or alcohol or saying bad words.

When I was younger – even in my teenage years – I would give up something for Lent, and then I would make a big deal about my sacrifice. In other words, I would make my sacrifice all about me, and my misery at not being able to eat chocolate for six weeks. But the idea is that our sacrifice will call us to remember Christ’s sacrifice for us. Our Lenten sacrifices are – at their root – a call to pay extra attention to God.

A Lenten practice which has become more popular in recent years is to take something on for Lent: a daily habit of Bible reading, for example. Some people I know read a psalm each day in Lent, or a chapter of another book of the Bible, methodically working their way through as part of a Lenten discipline. Other people commit to more prayer during Lent, maybe even using a book of prayers to guide them. Some read daily devotional books or commit to a set amount of quiet time each day.

The beauty of Lenten disciplines – when they are taken on properly – is that they lead us into a deeper relationship with God. They help us to take time and effort that we maybe don’t take at other times of year – time and effort that we use to listen more deeply for God’s voice, to pay attention to Jesus so that we can better follow him as his disciples.

Why bother?

Well, there are several reasons to observe a holy Lent: personal spiritual growth or a deeper realization of God’s love, for instance. But another reason that occurs to me might not be as obvious: observing a holy Lent can help us love God more, but it can also help us to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Think about it: when we spend time with God, and listening for God’s voice in the midst of all the other noisy voices out there, we begin to see what God’s heart is for other people. I think this is part of why Jesus tells us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Our prayers don’t necessary change the person for whom we are praying, but our prayers just might change our own hearts. And thus it is that God can direct our hearts away from hatred, away from thoughts of retaliation, away from warfare, away from the desire to cause harm.

Just think if everyone in the world prayed for their enemies.

Now, I’m not so silly as to think that will actually happen. But I have to at least ask the question – can it happen with me? Can I pray for my enemies? Can I pray for them, so that I may begin to pay attention to God’s love for them? Can I pay attention to God’s love for them so that I can love others as I love myself?

Whatever it is that you give up for Lent, or take on for Lent – or both – I hope you will use these disciplines as an opportunity to pay extra attention to God. Keep hold of the words of God, spoken over Jesus, coming out of the heavenly cloud: “This is my beloved Son…listen to him!” Let God interrupt you, if need be!

For Jesus’ sake, and for the sake of the life of the world.

Amen.


+ SDG +


No comments:

Post a Comment